About Us

William R. KearneyOur History

The Kearney Funeral Home was founded by John A. Kearney and his brother Patrick in 1903.  John's son, J. Robert Kearney completed a course in embalming at Renaurd Training School in NYC 1927.  He and his wife Kathryn later became associated in the funeral business with his father. Three generations of the Kearney family have been dedicated to the service of the community for over one hundred years.  The funeral home is not only the oldest in the city, but also the oldest continually run family business, of any kind, in the city of Nanticoke.

The Kearney Funeral Home began construction of their new facilities in 1924 at 22 Prospect Street.  These modern facilities included the first of it's kind chapel in the borough, where services were conducted.

Kearney Funeral Home, Inc. is currently located in the former St. Francis of Assisi parish rectory, at 173 E. Green Street in Nanticoke under the direction of J. Robert and Kathryn's son, William R. Kearney. The years of apprenticeship training under the tutelage of a caring father, made the father to son transition seamless and transparent.  The same standard of excellence and commitment to the community had been successfully passed to the third generation.